A Time for Everything
"For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:
a time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
a time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up;
a time to weep, and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
a time to seek, and a time to lose;
a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
a time to tear, and a time to sew;
a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
a time to love, and a time to hate;
a time for war, and a time for peace."
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
a time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up;
a time to weep, and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
a time to seek, and a time to lose;
a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
a time to tear, and a time to sew;
a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
a time to love, and a time to hate;
a time for war, and a time for peace."
I devote time to so many other things. What are all the things I spend time doing? ...and why?
Ecclesiastes 1:14 says, "I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind." What is meant by "everything" anyway?
I struggle in my attempts to juggle it all. Some may call it a balancing act. Neither analogy fits perfectly, as some things take higher priority over other things. Truly, for everything there is a season...
In my current season with young kids at home,
there are some key factors
there are some key factors
that have been brought into focus
to help me make time for all the things
which are truly appropriate in this season:
I am striving to live as a servant of God, a missionary to my kids, a manager of my home, a helper to my husband, mom/discipler/teacher to my children (24-7), an ambassador and light for the sake of my extended family, friends, neighbors, and city.
As scripture informs my priorities, I desire to be unwavering in my commitment to them. Then I will be able to say no to all the good things so that I may choose what is better: that to which God has called me.
As I am able to keep priorities in focus I will be able to accomplish all the things God wants on my to-do list. Things of lesser priority may never be accomplished during the busier seasons of life unless I sacrifice some of the other priorities.
This means there will always be things
on the to-do list
that do not get accomplished
I need to readjust my perspective and accept this rather than allowing the never-ending list of things I wish to accomplish to make me feel unsuccessful, insufficient, stressed, etc.
Lord, let me not be deceived into believing that accomplishing more on my to-do list is worth sacrificing sleep, time with You, the health of my relationship with my kids, my ability/availability to serve and help and love my husband well, or anything else You have called me to.
God-directed Paths
Proverbs 3:5-8 (ESV)
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.
Be not wise in your own eyes;
fear the Lord, and turn away from evil.
It will be healing to your flesh
and refreshment to your bones."
Matthew 11:29 (ESV)
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.
Be not wise in your own eyes;
fear the Lord, and turn away from evil.
It will be healing to your flesh
and refreshment to your bones."
Matthew 11:29 (ESV)
"Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
As I strive to discern the paths of the Lord, I need to throw off worldly wisdom and my own sense of understanding, and seek God's wisdom. You will lead me; You will direct my paths according to Your eternal omniscience. God, through Your Spirit, may You empower and lead and direct my every step. Please help me to not take upon myself a yoke heavier than that to which you have called me.
As I strive to discern the paths of the Lord, I need to throw off worldly wisdom and my own sense of understanding, and seek God's wisdom. You will lead me; You will direct my paths according to Your eternal omniscience. God, through Your Spirit, may You empower and lead and direct my every step. Please help me to not take upon myself a yoke heavier than that to which you have called me.
Proverbs 19:21 (ESV)
"Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand."
Lord, may you not only provide me with direction as I plan my schedule, but please also lead me by Your Spirit to recognize the detours You may be providing and to discern which are the detours that are distractions and which are the opportunities You, in your Sovereignty, are calling me to (those things I too often misconceive and wrongly view as distractions).
Obedient to Rest
Exodus 35:2 (ESV)
"Six days work shall be done, but on the seventh day you shall have a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord."
"Sleep is a daily reminder from God that we are not God. “He who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep” (Psalm 121:4). But Israel will. For we are not God. Once a day God sends us to bed like patients with a sickness. The sickness is a chronic tendency to think we are in control and that our work is indispensable. To cure us of this disease God turns us into helpless sacks of sand once a day." - John Piper
I am unable to rest if I am inaccurately discerning the things which are within my realm of responsibility/capability and the things that are God's responsibility/capability.
God, please help me to trust You, who created my body to need rest and help me to submit to Your wisdom and to Your calling to get enough sleep each day as well as taking a Sabbath's rest each week. May I use the Sabbath's rest to glorify You and not to serve the allusion of a god of entertainment or to feed a lazy appetite. Please help me to trust that You will make time for what I ought to get done...after I've rested.
Managing my Home Well Involves Managing my Time
Lord, have mercy on me. It's never too late to learn to manage time well. Thank You that You never give up on me and will never abandon the work You've started in me. Thank You that You will enable me to do that to which You have called me.
Please help me to not only reserve time to take a Sabbath but to also take time away to be with You...in prayer and in Your Word...to sit before You like Mary did, soaking in Your love and wisdom and peace.
Finding Rest for my Heart
Matthew 11:28 (ESV)
"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."
I'm trusting You, Lord, to provide rest for those who labor and are heavy laden in the midst of a season such as this.
Proverbs 29:17 (ESV)
Proverbs 29:17 (ESV)
I am in a season that has me longing for this day. The lack of fruit (so far) in this pursuit has caused (perhaps more than any other thing) a lack of rest in my soul.
Ps 127: 1-4
"Unless the Lord builds the house,
those who build it labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city,
the watchman stays awake in vain.
2 It is in vain that you rise up early
and go late to rest,
eating the bread of anxious toil;
for he gives to his beloved sleep."
Ecclesiastes 2:22-23 says, "What has a man from all the toil and striving of heart with which he toils beneath the sun? For all his days are full of sorrow, and his work is a vexation. Even in the night his heart does not rest. This also is vanity."
This heart-rest is key.
When the frustrations start to simmer, please help me to recognize it before I boil over. Please remind me to seek Your wisdom and Your words and Your patience as soon as I notice the stress building. Comfort me with a soul that rests in the security of Your great power and control and purpose for all things, and in Your faithful love and ability to provide.
Please help me to pursue Your yoke for me, the workload You intend for me to complete. Help me to go about my work, not worried and upset like Martha, but to fulfill my responsibilities while my spirit is resting in the knowledge that You are the All-Powerful, All-Knowing, Loving, Faithful God that You Are and that You've got it all under control.
Help me to remember that I have nothing but a few loaves and fish in the basket that I "bring to the table;" it is You Who takes what You've given me and works miracles with it. Please take what I've got and work miracles for the benefit of my family. (Thank you Stephanie Beaty for sharing that analogy!)
Lord, as I follow Your lead and walk down the God-directed paths You have chosen for my life, please help me to manage my time in such a way that:
1) trusts in and submits to your instruction to allow rest for my body,
2) pursues rest for my heart through my knowledge of Your Word and my relationship with You, and...
3) discerns between which things are and are not my biblically-informed priorities/ responsibilities and avoids anything that causes me to neglect any of those priorities.
No comments:
Post a Comment