Friday, April 13, 2018

Parenting Lessons


What has God taught me about parenting?
...so far 


In no specific order, I’ve learned…

1.  I've learned ...the depth of my sin. Parenting is hard. It reveals my true colors. It has the ability to bring out the best and worst in me. Children are, indeed, a blessing; each child is, indeed, a blessing. For instance, I am blessed by the way my 3rd and 4th and 5th children have brought to light sin in me that my 1st and 2nd children didn’t bring out. God is using them (my 3rd and 4th and 5th children) to refine me even more. Right now my sin seems clearer than ever before. Right now I seem to be more sinful than ever before. I have not learned the art of relying on God every step of the way. I struggle to remember in the most stressful moments (when I need to rely on Him most) to call out to him and pray for help. I cling to Isaiah 40:11 “He will tend his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms; he will carry them in his bosom, & gently lead those that are with young.   

2.  I've learned that I need to have grace for my children just as God forgives us again and again, and again, and again, and again. Parenting (dealing with disciplinary issues) confronts my understanding of the gospel unlike any other thing I’ve experienced. To analyze how to present the gospel to the kids in a clear, easy, understandable way…and how to apply it in their lives during correction/discipline, during refereeing, etc. has brought me to a deeper understanding of the gospel.

3.  I've learned about myself that I’m a goal-oriented person. One time I took the opportunity to write a letter to my children to read if I were to die. Then I wrote another letter that they could read once they’re older regarding things I’d want to teach them that are inappropriate for their young ages. This inspired me to think through what my goals are for raising my children. I imagine it might be a valuable exercise for any parent. In doing so, I am better able to think of what I can do now to work toward those goals. For example, I want them to be crystal clear about the fact they can not earn their salvation. Being “good” and living a moral life doesn’t help them deserve heaven. So my saying is, “We thank God by obeying Him” and I have that written inside a cross. Also, we (*try to) interpret everything (including refereeing) through the lens of the 2 greatest commandments: loving God & loving others. Another example, when they sin in a particular way again & again & again, we tell them that there are some things that no matter how hard we try we just can’t keep from sinning, just like we can’t earn heaven by trying hard enough…but we need a Savior, we need to pray & ask God to help us stop sinning in that area, just like we need our Savior in order to get to Heaven because we can’t get there on our own.

4.  I've learned that it’s possible to be selfish with my time even when I have so many little ones and a house and a husband and family and friends and neighbors to care for and keep me busy. Despite the busy-ness, I somehow find time/ways to still be selfish with the use of my time.

5.  I've learned I’ve learned that one cannot judge a parent based on the child’s behavior, but children’s actions, attitudes, disobedience, disrespect, etc. are because of sin and not because of a lack of good parenting.

6.  I've learned I’ve learned to accept help. Each of us go through seasons in life (Eccl – there’s a time & season in e’thing under heaven…) and I’m in one where my plate is full. God did not intend for us to live isolated from the body of Christ. He wants us to be unified, working together, laughing with those who laugh, weeping with those who weep…. As a part of the body of Christ, I may, in some seasons, be the hands, in another I might be the appendix. J

7. I've learned that parenting is full-time ministry. That children are worthy to be prioritized and discipled. It is not only a legitimate ministry to be involved in, but a vital one - one that is assigned to parents in Deut 6. Many people see parenting and ministry as 2 separate things…and think moms have to be a part of a formal ministry at any given time in their life, and they quote Proverbs 31. I am not at all convinced our lives are intended to reflect every verse of P31 in every moment in every season, but that each verse reflects different seasons throughout a godly woman’s life. It’s an overview as if looking back over the whole life span. I believe that when we love God we are always doing informal, relational ministry (we are representing Christ when we show grace to waiters, other drivers, etc. and we are loving/serving our neighbors, friends, family, etc. & sharing the gospel when we have the opportunity…). And parenting is an investment of our lives and time, 24/7, where we get to walk & talk & lie down (Dt 6) while teaching about God and living a life in response to the gospel. With our kids, it’s discipleship in a more intimate and thorough way than we’ll ever get to do for any other person we may disciple. And its worth it, even if it means guarding our time and resisting some appealing opportunities for ministry while in certain seasons of parenting. 

8.  I've learned that humility is important. Titus 2 says younger women (implying those with children at home) have the need to learn to love their children from older women who have already raised their children. Another way to accept help from the body of Christ is to let them help by giving you advice. This requires humility. MANY may respond with judgment. MANY responses may be hurtful. MANY won’t be able to relate and have had totally different experiences with their kids. But God can use advice from others to help me consider doing/saying things I haven’t thought to consider. God can use others’ experiences to broaden my perspective, to challenge me, to encourage me. Bottom line is: I don’t have all the answers. I didn’t write the manual for how to raise my kid (or any of my kids, as they are all unique). Parenting is a learning process, and even if it were possible to “get it right” for 1 of my kids, it won’t help me with the rest of my kids because each one is different and need different things from me (different responses, different expression of affection, different interactions, different approaches to correction - even if its only slight differences). I will never have all the answers, even once mine are grown. I have to completely rely on God’s grace. I pray with my kids, “God, thank you for choosing ____ out of all the children in the world you could have chosen, thank you for choosing ____ to be mine. And thank you that, out of all the mommies in the world, you’ve chosen me to be _____’s mommy.” I think that’s an important perspective for our children to have…& for us to have. God chose me to parent my kids. He knows me, knows the decisions I will make, knows how I will parent (is leading me in my parenting) and he knows exactly what my kids need. Because he loves them, I know he’s picked me for them for a reason & for their good. And I have to pray that they’ll learn & grow in spite of my mistakes. I have to confess my sins to them & set an example of repentance for them…

9.  I've learned that I’m challenged to resist thinking (or resist having parenting philosophies that…) conform to (or follow) the patterns of this world (Rom 12) but instead to lean not on my own understanding (Pr 3:5-8) & ask what God would prefer…whether is how to educate our children, or how to approach birth control, or family planning, or how to approach correction/discipline, or how to (or whether to) involve our kids in sports, …the list goes on & on. Instead of automatically falling into the same pattern as everyone else, God has really had us stop and prayerfully (& biblically) consider if these things are what God wants us to do.

10.  I've learned that the things I want them to learn as they grow up (…learn to do…learn to value…etc.) I need to exemplify. It’s not uncommon for me to think I value something, but then I find that the way I spend my time and/or money reveals values that are contrary. So what is my schedule & use of my time/money teaching my kids to value?

11.  And I’ve learned that lessons are unfinished lessons. These things I’ve learned will continue to be understood more deeply as time goes on, and my perspective on these same 10 issues above will, I’m sure, be different in a few years, even months. I'm a work in progress.

Philippians 1:6 "And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."

No comments:

Post a Comment